Brentwood Legion Ambulance was established by William J.A. Seymour. He was driven to the hospital after he was the badly injured, sole survivor of a severe Brentwood automobile accident in March 1959.
Because Brentwood did not have its own ambulance at the time, he waited almost two hours for one. Mr. Seymour knew that a change needed to take place in his neighborhood.
By gathering fellow members from American Legion’s Joseph Loeffler Post 1006 in Brentwood, he was able to start the Brentwood Legion Ambulance. They purchased a 1948 Cadillac hearse and converted into an ambulance, all while training 25 volunteers. Since that time, BLA has grown to over 250 members with 8 state-of-the-art ambulances.